Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped my motor over to a better 2001 frame. Took it out for the first time today and I have a terrible wobble in the rear. The left rear wheel looks a little banged up and could possibly be the cause but my concern is if the axle is bent. Have any of you had an issue like this before?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Yep - raise the rear end off the ground and spin the rear wheels - if the axle is bent, the center of the axle will rotate in a circle - if the axle is straight the center of the axle will be stable or move in a very small circle.

If the wheel is bent, swapping wheels from one side to the other will disclose that - if the wobble is still on the same side and the axle is straight, the hub may be bent - take the hubs off and swap from one side to the other - if the wobbe moves from one side to the other, replace the offending hub.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok just an update. Put new rims and tires on it and the wobble was still there. I swapped an entire swing arm from my parts quad and it fixed the issue. I’m assuming the axle was bent.
On another note when installing the swing arm the drivers side bolt has a separate castle lock nut. I ran both bolts in finger tight to seat in the bearing then I torqued passenger side first. After torquing driver side I ran the castle nut tight to hold position

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Yep - no one has a patent on innovation and sometimes it's not only cheaper, but just simply more convenient top make a useful tool out an already manufactured product. I have not only modified sockets for a different use, but have modified manufactured single use tools for multiple use.

Here's a socket I modified for a use similar to yours

Here's an actual special tool that was much more useful when modified for use with a square drive ratchet

Here's some adapters I made to allow me to use a grease gun to hydraulically remove stuck master cylinder and caliper pistons

I needed an extra deep socket to remove the clutch nut from a 750 Yamaha triple - cut a socket and weld in a length of water pipe

Here's a special socket for removing the choke cable nut on Polaris carburetors - the cable bends and the socket slips over the cable onto the nut allowing the use of a 1/4 square drive ratchet or breaker bar to break the nut loose - if you ever had to remove the nut from a Polaris Mikuni BS style carb, you know how handy this tool can be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome home made tools! So I noticed after I ran the bolts tight on the swing arm that the drivers side “castle nut side” has maybe a 1/8” gap between swing arm and frame collar. Passenger side is tight. Is this an issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Nope - that's way it is designed - I reviewed the manual and it appears you followed the correct sequence for installation and tightening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts