Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, new guy here from WV right in the middle of Hatfield McCoy Trail country. I recently traded for an 01 300EX and it's not getting any spark. I've replaced the coil, the cdi box, kill switch, key switch, tested the stator (passed with flying colors), tested the magnetic pickup (319 ohms of resistance, pretty sure its a pass from what I've read), checked/traced every single wire on the bike and still cannot get any power to my cdi. I can officially say a bike has me stumped for the first time in my life. Nothing makes sense on it. I know it has to be something simple thats staring me right in the face so I'm hoping someone on here can chime in and offer up an opinion. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
A friend of mine lost spark on his 250 - tested everything - the only part that tested good was the stator - he started replacing things starting with the cheapest - a new pulser, a new coil, a new CDI - still no spark - replaced the stator and fixed the problem - put the old coil, CDI box and pulser back on (one at a time and testing for spark after each change) - the only bad part was the stator

Your stator passed with flying colors? Who determined what those colors were supposed to be? (OK I'm a smart ass, but I do know what I'm talking about)

Loss of spark is caused by "PARTS" in this order: spark plug, plug cap, stator, CDI, pulser, coil and flywheel - loss not caused by parts: connections, shorts, opens (broken wires) or sheared flywheel key.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to my Factory Service Manual the stator passes with .2-.6 ohms at 68 degrees. Thanks to a friends climate controlled garage I was able to replicate the 68 degrees and mine showed .4 ohms which is smack dab in the middle. Thanks for the list of things to check, I'm pretty sure I've marked them all off though but I'll write them all down and start from the top ASAP just to be sure all bases are covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.