Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

2001 400ex, neutral light comes on with clutch

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Here 2 help 
#1 ·
Anyone run across this before? I have a new to me, 2001 400ex and the neutral light comes on when the clutch lever is pulled. The neutral light does work properly (after an adjustment) when the machine is shifted into neutral.

Its difficult for my son however to try and find neutral when riding as the light comes on when he pulls in the clutch when riding (he doesnt have a feel for when it shifts into neutral yet).

I'm not sure how the clutch circuit can feed power to the neutral light, I'll have to pull all the plastics and chase the wiring. Was hoping someone has seen this before and can point to a starting place. :)

-DallanC

#4 ·
Awesome, thank you. I located it, removed it and tested it. It was indeed bad. I have one on order.

This 400ex is a PITA. I bought it knowing it needed a engine rebuild, that went great, it runs perfectly. But good lord, I didnt realize how many other issues it had, it was missing about every 3rd bolt and other misc parts LOL. Just finished putting in new axle bearings last night. I hope this rapidly comes to a end, this thing is a $$$ drain. I'm into it about $1650 now, but they sell locally in the $2-2300 range so I'm still ok on it.

-DallanC

#5 ·
I got an 05 for free that I put $2500 into fixing up and the only work on the motor was a starter clutch - had to rebuild the carb including jets, gasket kit and choke lever, new air box, battery box, rear axle bearing carrier, rear brake caliper and brakes all around, about every third bolt, a seat cover and other countless small repairs - I can sympathize with you.

I'll sell it for $1900 if you know anybody who wants it. In Central IL - maybe I'll put it in the for sale forum (if I haven't already)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.