Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400ex i just replaced the rear break pads. I pushed in the caliper piston and now it wont compress can anyone help me with this? I tried bleeding the caliper and i have pumped the pedal many times

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Easy to demonstrate - difficult to explain

When you pushed the caliper piston in (compressed), you should have first backed out the parking brake adjuster bolt fully, then pushed the caliper piston in. Typically a special tool is needed to push the piston in. In a few cases it can be pushed in by hand. (If you were able to push the piston in by hand, consider yourself lucky or a HE-MAN) While pressing the piston in, you should keep the brake line fitting at the 12 o'clock position and have the reservoir cap off.

After the piston is compressed into the caliper body and the new pads are installed, simply pump the brake pedal slowly to push the pads into the rotor and build pressure on the system. If there appears to be air in the system; first press the brake pedal down and hold it down. Crack the banjo fitting where the line is attached to the master cylinder to let any trapped air escape. Tighten the fitting and let off the brake pedal. Repeat until you get all fluid and no air. Now press the brake pedal down and crack the banjo fitting at the caliper. Same as at the master cylinder, repeat until all fluid and no air. Finally, press and hold the brake pedal down and hold, open the bleeder screw to allow any trapped air to escape. When you get all fluid and no air, the system should be functional. You may have to repeat the procedure two or three times to get all the air out. Note: make sure not to let the reservoir run dry while doing this.

After the brake system is working properly, adjust the parking brake for proper operation and you are done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.