Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going everyone,

I’m tearing apart the top end on my 2001 400EX and it’s never been touched before so naturally I had a bolt break on me. It’s one of the 6x32 small bolts on the right side of the cylinder where the cam chain is. Tried drilling it out and using an easy out but all it did was break the easy out. Just looking for anyone who has ran into this and has the specs on what size I should drill the hole out to and what size bolt you’ve used as well. Open to any comments! Thanks in advanced!

·
Super Moderator
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Has the broken Easy Out been removed? I drill broken bolts out using a 7/32 solid carbide drill in a vertical mill and install a Helicoil thread repair insert. If the easy out is still in the drilled hole, it will have to be extracted first or milled out with a solid carbide end mill. If milled out, just have a 7/32 hole milled to remove the easy out and broken bolt is a single operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Has the broken Easy Out been removed? I drill broken bolts out using a 7/32 solid carbide drill in a vertical mill and install a Helicoil thread repair insert. If the easy out is still in the drilled hole, it will have to be extracted first or milled out with a solid carbide end mill. If milled out, just have a 7/32 hole milled to remove the easy out and broken bolt is a single operation.
I need to get the easy out still but once that’s out I just need to find a good helicoil kit and drill it out. It’s a small area there so just wanted to here some suggestions so thank you for yours!

·
Super Moderator
4,722 Posts
If the easy out is broken flush with the screw, it will need to be welded to a nut to be removed - it cannot be drilled out with a hand drill. Remove it and then drill out the remainder of the screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the easy out is broken flush with the screw, it will need to be welded to a nut to be removed - it cannot be drilled out with a hand drill. Remove it and then drill out the remainder of the screw.
Working on it now. Once I get the easy out removed do you know what size hole to drill out and helicoil to use in that particular area?

·
Super Moderator
4,722 Posts
The broken screw is 6mm (.236") - drill out the broken screw with a 1/4 (.25") drill, thread the hole with a 6mm STI tap and insert a 6x1.0 - 10 to 15 mm length Helicoil (measure the depth of the hole to determine the length of the insert - 12 mm deep use a 10 - 17 mm deep use a 15) Note: the insert can be shortened with side cutters to the desired length - once the insert is installed, break the insertion tang off and remove it from the hole, then test fit a new screw - it should thread in to the bottom of the hole without binding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts