Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 honda 400 ex which has problems idling. The carb was cleaned very well but still it wont idle and only works with the choke on. can someone help me with my problem?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The idle circuit needs to be cleaned. Whenever it will idle with choke, you are restricting the air flow to enrich the fuel/air mixture. Without choke you are dependent on the fuel flowing through the idle circuit to mix with the air present.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The idle circuit is comprised of the fuel/mixture screw, the jet in the float bowl and the passages within the carb body that flow the air and fuel through the carb to the hole on the engine side of the butterfly where the mixture joins the air passing under the slide and flowing past the butterfly valve.

It is best cleaned after complete dis-assembly of the carb and soaking it in a commercial grade cold parts cleaning solvent until clean. Usually takes about 1 hour of soak depending on the degree of cleaning needed.

When the carb is removed from the cleaner, I rinse in lacquer thinner and blow air through all the passages until I am sure all the passages are clear and air is flowing to all the points that it is supposed to.

This is not a detailed "how to", but an outline of how it is done. The service manual devotes about 20 pages on the subject of "how to"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.