Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought a used '01 Recon TRX250 tm. When I bought it, noticed that the engine was extremely noisy (compared at least to my 2006 Recon 250).

Adjusted the valves to .005 with a feeler gauge, and it made no difference. The noise is a constant "clicking" sound that increases with throttle.

I read that these Honda's are notorious for the "Honda Tick", but it seems a bit excessive and loud.

Also, when I removed the valve covers, I noticed that one of the bolts was stripped. So the valve cover is on there with ONLY 3 Bolts. Would this contribute to the ticking sound?

Any other diagnostic suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
My sources tell me the first TRX250TM was a 2002 model.

Regardless, the head cover is held down by 9 bolts and the tappet covers are screw in caps. Are you sure you have a TRX250TM? Push rod motor?

Having a stripped bolt is not a major problem, but it might indicate other deeper problems. The mechanic that stripped the threads may have done other damage.

What is the 17 digit VIN?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My sources tell me the first TRX250TM was a 2002 model.

Regardless, the head cover is held down by 9 bolts and the tappet covers are screw in caps. Are you sure you have a TRX250TM? Push rod motor?

Having a stripped bolt is not a major problem, but it might indicate other deeper problems. The mechanic that stripped the threads may have done other damage.

What is the 17 digit VIN?
I stand corrected. It's a 2001 TRX 250.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.