Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Trx400ex that i bought. I replaced the card last weeke. I had to figure on the jetting and gas issue and got that set. So i went trail riding and i opened the thing up too see what it could do when i was riding the clutch lever got stuck and i got it unstuck and i tried to ride it back home and i hit the gas and it lost alll power and came back out of nowhere then it just shutdown completely. I then started it back up and tried to get it home it shut down on me completely. And when i try to crank it snd
rev it it turns off. I also can’t even put it into gear it just turn right back offf. PLEASE HELP

·
Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
To start troubleshooting, start the engine and unplug the key switch from the wiring harness - try riding it a see if it is the same - with the key switch unplugged, you will have to use the handlebar switch to kill the engine - if it's the same, unplug the 6 pin connector between the LH handlebar switch and the wiring harness - this will kill the lights, but the engine will stay running - with both switches unplugged, you will not be able to kill the engine unless you choke it or stall the engine by holding the brake and slowly let the clutch while in gear (preferably 2nd or higher). If unplugging the switches while the engine is running does not eliminate the problem, you have to find the short between the black wire with a white stripe and ground.

This is presuming the problem is electrical and not electronic - if it's electronic and ignition related, you will need a peak voltage meter to trouble shoot it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To start troubleshooting, start the engine and unplug the key switch from the wiring harness - try riding it a see if it is the same - with the key switch unplugged, you will have to use the handlebar switch to kill the engine - if it's the same, unplug the 6 pin connector between the LH handlebar switch and the wiring harness - this will kill the lights, but the engine will stay running - with both switches unplugged, you will not be able to kill the engine unless you choke it or stall the engine by holding the brake and slowly let the clutch while in gear (preferably 2nd or higher). If unplugging the switches while the engine is running does not eliminate the problem, you have to find the short between the black wire with a white stripe and ground.

This is presuming the problem is electrical and not electronic - if it's electronic and ignition related, you will need a peak voltage meter to trouble shoot it.
i think it’s more so an engine problem

·
Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
How did the clutch lever get stuck? Are you talking about the clutch lever on the handlebar or engine? What did you do to get it unstuck?

·
Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
Now it's starting to sound like a clutch issue - I recommend you get it to an experienced mechanic who can diagnose and fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
AH HA! Classic gummed up carb symptom - or old gas or water in the gas - might try draining the carb and fuel tank and putting some 91 or higher octane non-ethanol fuel - if that doesn't do it, get the carb thoroughly cleaned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AH HA! Classic gummed up carb symptom - or old gas or water in the gas - might try draining the carb and fuel tank and putting some 91 or higher octane non-ethanol fuel - if that doesn't do it, get the carb thoroughly cleaned.
I do run 93 octane on the quad i also ordered another carb and right now the only issue i’m having is with the clutch on the engine getting stuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts