Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 trx250ex has a faulty stator removed the rear cover installed stator.... note atv ran fine before replacing stator would lose spark at half throttle and up. Now shifter is all the way down and will not shift it is stuck in gear so I am unable to start so I removed the clutch cover and inspected all under there by the manual and all looks normal.....??? Need help please anyone every had this happen before?? Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated!!??..

·
Super Moderator
3,161 Posts
You have to hold the shift shaft so the shift pawl enters the operator on the sub-shift shaft as the cover is installed - see page 11-9 of the service manual - failure to do so will result in shifting in one direction only if at all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Note when cover off tried to operate shift rod and it will not move down it is against the lower housing does have play upward but will not shift.....

·
Super Moderator
3,161 Posts
The parts breakdown does not show a snap ring on the end of the shaft under the clutch cover - it depicts one snap ring on the shaft that keeps the shaft from pushing forward when the front cover is off - there should be a thrust washer against the engine case and a snap ring on the shaft on the rear of the engine, but I don't see a snap ring on the clutch end

·
Super Moderator
3,161 Posts
That snap ring goes in a groove way down the shaft - you put the snap ring on first followed by a thrust washer then insert the shaft into the engine case - then the rear cover goes on before assembly of the clutch end

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok so I probably need to remove the clutch cover and retire the shifter with the stator cover already installed

·
Super Moderator
3,161 Posts
I knew what you meant and yes - with the rear wheels off the ground you should be able to spin the wheels watch the shift mechanism as you shift through the gears

·
Super Moderator
3,161 Posts
There is in the Honda manual, but it's not detailed - the manual is written from the standpoint that the service tech is familiar with the product and just needs the general information. Consumer manuals like Haynes and Clymer are usually more detailed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts