Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been working on a 02 trx250tm, changed piston, head, stator, pick up coil, ignition coil, spark plug and cdi, but for some strange reason it sparks one time everytime I press the start button, then no spark at all. I checked charge coming out of pick up coil directly from the connector and it's working perfectly but when I check at cdi it seems to give no signal at all. Also when I test the two wires going to ignition coil they both are giving me a ground signal, I thought one was a positive charge, so I went thru the wires looking for a broken connection but everything seems to be good. The neutral light is coming on but I can't figure out what can be the issue. I haven't replaced the rectifier yet, not sure if it has anything to do with it tho....anyone can help me???

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
Well, you have certainly made a mess of things.

If you want to get this figured out without taking it to a shop to have an experienced and knowledgeable mechanic fix it, buy a multimeter with a peak voltage function and I'll guide you through the troubleshooting procedure.

Before being concerned with the rest of the wiring, check all the ground connections - coil to ground, engine to ground, battery to frame, etc. Once all the grounds are verified move on to the wiring.

You start by disconnecting the black wire with the white stripe at the CDI unit - it's in the 2 pin connector on the CDI unit with the black wire with a red stripe - the blk/red wire is the charging coil for the CDI unit - you can remove the plug and use a jumper lead to connect the blk/red wire to it's pin, but before you do, use the peak voltage function of the meter and check the output of the stator charge coil (blk/red to ground) it should be appx. 45 volts with the engine cranked using the electric starter.

Let me know what you discover up to this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the response, I just tested the black/red wire coming from stator and I'm getting between readings between 58.0/63.9.....I disconnected the b/w wire at cdi and now it won't even spark one time......

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
Check for 3 to 5 volts between the blu/yel wire and green wires from the pulse coil

If you have voltage from the pulse coil, check for appx. 100 volts on the blk/yel to green wire at the coil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No voltage from the pulse coil, I get the 3 volts from the wires that come from cdi but the pulse coil side just .4

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
I think the pulse coil may be the problem and I was wrong about the voltage - here's what Honda specifies

.4 is not that far off .7, but it does specify .7 as minimum - higher than .7 would be fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I ordered a new stator and pulse coil but I noticed something just now, my neutral light stays on at all times...????? Even when I downshift, the green neutral light stays on, is that normal?

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
No it's not normal - unplug the wire from the neutral switch - if the light stays on, find the short in the wire - 12v goes to the light and the neutral switch provides a ground for the light which turns in on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts