Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter bought a 2003 sportrax 400ex from a cousin bike wasn't running. cleaned the gas tank put a new carburetor on it new regulator new solinoid, battery, coil, and a new CDI box. after it gets to operating temperature if it dies or you kill it it will not restart until it cools off. the natural lights comes on but after it warms up the light goes out after you kill it or it dies will not start back till it cools off . anything at this point would be very helpful Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it just not restart until the neutral light comes on?
it has to come on first then it will restart . We found by moving the wire on the neutral switch will make it come back on faster so we ordered a new neutral switch hoping that might be it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has to come on first then it will restart . We found by moving the wire on the neutral switch will make it come back on faster so we ordered a new neutral switch hoping that might be it.
and nothing comes on when the light is out no head lights no nothing. and the light only goes off when it's running

·
Super Moderator
3,694 Posts
I think you are losing ground, but starting has nothing to do with dying - the two systems are completely separate - only thing common to both is the key switch.

To test, unplug the key switch from the wiring harness - jump the red to black wires with a paper clip - that electrifies the lights and the starter motor will work (you will have to kill the engine with the handlebar switch) - as long as the red wire is connected to black, the lights and starter will work - try running it to see if it still dies - if it no longer dies, with the engine running, remove the jumper from red to black - you will find that disconnecting the red from the black wire only results in the lights going out and the starter no longer works - now use the paper clip to connect the black/white wire to the green wire - this will kill the engine.

If the test is successful, get a new key switch and install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are losing ground, but starting has nothing to do with dying - the two systems are completely separate - only thing common to both is the key switch.

To test, unplug the key switch from the wiring harness - jump the red to black wires with a paper clip - that electrifies the lights and the starter motor will work (you will have to kill the engine with the handlebar switch) - as long as the red wire is connected to black, the lights and starter will work - try running it to see if it still dies - if it no longer dies, with the engine running, remove the jumper from red to black - you will find that disconnecting the red from the black wire only results in the lights going out and the starter no longer works - now use the paper clip to connect the black/white wire to the green wire - this will kill the engine.

If the test is successful, get a new key switch and install it.
Thank you i will try that today. And let you know either way. and i did forget to say one other thing when the light starts blinking the motor starts popping like a little backfire .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts