Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for 2nd gear Honda Part #23421-HN1-00 on the mainshaft 16t, 1999-2004 are the same. On Honda parts its #4 in the picture any help would be greatly appreciated.
trans.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
It is no longer available from Honda - you will have to find a used one - the entire engine was redesigned for 2005 when reverse was added. An 05 transmission cannot be used in 99-04 engine cases, but an 05 and up engine can be swapped into the 99 to 04 frame - reverse will not be functional unless other parts are installed to make it functional.

The biggest problem is the face of the gear brinnels when improper oil is used in the engine. The oil needs to be JASO rated - regular automotive 10w40 is SAE rated and SAE SG is about as high a SAE rating that you would want to use in a transmission. When the 99 TRX400EX was introduced the oil was SF and lower with SA being the lowest. When it comes to transmissions, the lower rated the oil the better - higher rated oils are more energy efficient, but offer less protection to highly stressed or parts subject to high shear forces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the reply, I know its a discontinued part but I'm hoping someone might have something around, the gear a complete mainshaft gear set a complete transmission ??? Something !

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
I'll check with some of my friends - I just redid a transmission for a guy that flat-tracks (his was jumping out third) - he bought a used transmission and I built one good one out of two - he might have a decent one laying around. What's wrong with your's? Its usually #14 and 5 that cause most problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your correct !! #5 & 14 were toast, those were still available thru Honda. #4 2nd gear 16t is just tore up, nothing broken or missing just tore up ! gear1.jpg gear2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
One of my friends came through with very good 16T second gear and the mates (5 and 14) on the output shaft, but he want's $75 for all three. Interested?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A huge thank you for following up but I found a transmission set on EBay, the guy sold me the mainshaft with 2nd gear on it for $80. Honda still had 5 & 14 so I bought those new. Again I really really appreciate the help and follow up 👍👍 It's people like you that make a difference and I appreciate that !

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
A huge thank you for following up but I found a transmission set on EBay, the guy sold me the mainshaft with 2nd gear on it for $80. Honda still had 5 & 14 so I bought those new. Again I really really appreciate the help and follow up 👍👍 It's people like you that make a difference and I appreciate that !
It's fine - I don't think he really wanted to part with then anyway. He races and I have rebuilt his transmission 3 times this year. The last time I instructed him how to properly shift and he has not broke a transmission since, but he is running a 465 (big bore and stroker crank) with a stage 2 cam and a Keihin FCR carb. He knows he's over stressing things, but it's a cost of racing.

Thanks for using the forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts