Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the carb on my 400ex. Then I got to the Accelerator Pump I decided to unscrew the little jet in the bottom of the case. I didn't realize there was a little ball and spring under the jet. When I flipped the case over they fell out. I'm assuming the spring goes in first, then the ball, before screwing the jet back in. Can someone confirm that is the correct order?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
I think you are probably right, but I have never seen a TRX400 carb with a removable check valve - is this a stock carb, a Keihin FCR modified configuration, some brand of carb other than Mikuni or Keihin or is the accelerator pump cover a Boyesen or other aftermarket brand of accessory pump cover?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it’s a stock carb. I don’t see a brand on it though. I’ll post some pics. The last pic is the parts I need in the correct order. I didn’t see anything when I took that jet out. It wasn’t until I flipped it over that they fell on the workbench. When I put them in now that ball really stands out if it is on top of the spring

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
That carb is a Chinese copy of the OEM carb - the 'jet' as you call it is a check valve to prevent fuel from moving 'backwards' (the check valve is pressed into the OEM carb) - the ball has to make contact a 'seat' to stop the flow of fuel - look at the parts closely and you might see where the ball was making contact - take you best guess and put it together - without installing the bowl on the carb body, fill the bowl with mineral spirits, alcohol, lacquer thinner or similar liquid with a relatively low flash point (for safety) - operate the pump rod with your thumb - after several pumps fluid should squirt up through the hole where the float bowl seals against the carb body. Pretty simple - put it together right and it works - put it together wrong and it won't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts