Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been answered. I tried searching but it seems like I have the opposite problem that everyone else has. My quad idles but when I hit the throttle it dies. I have cleaned the carb several times. I don't know what the issue is. The quad will idle for a while but hit the throttle and it dies. I'm thinking about just buying a new carb.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
If you ease into the throttle, the engine speed increases normally, but then the engine just suddenly cuts off at a certain speed, you might have an ignition problem.

If the engine will rev. with the choke on, then its probably the carb.

If the problem is the carb, it needs to be PROFESSIONALLY cleaned. - spray cleaners and $15 per gallon parts store cleaners are about as good as pouring water on it. You buy a 5 gallon starter bucket with a dip basket for about $75 to $125 (depending on your discount leve)l at a auto supply and about $45 a gallon to replenish what is lost during the cleaning process. Completely disassemble the carb, clean all the parts (except rubber parts), assemble and recalibrate and it should be as new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. We tried switching the carbs with my other 2003 trx 350fm and the problem still exists. My buddy thinks we need to check the valves.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
It never hurts to check the valves, but typically the valves will cause hard starting while allowing normal running. Since you swapped carbs - obviously the problem is something other than the carb. Did you put your carb on his engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts