Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2005 250ex I have an issue. Ran great before oil change and now after oil change I can’t use more than half throttle because it’ll bog down and die. What causes this and what fixes this. Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could be that you have too much oil in. Some people don't take into account, that the oil cooker still holds a lot. And it gets over filled. Check the most simple things first.

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
I think Jw250exr meant oil COOLER and it's a non issue - the engine holds 1.6 qt of oil after draining - how much oil did you put in it?

If it not overfull of oil, then you might have gotten water in the carb - the carb has a drain screw - just open the screw to let any accumulated water out and try running it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so I put in 1.7q and I did drain carb more than once. Also has a fresh full rebuild kit in carb. Wheeler was not running before last week. Like I said. Runs great, but anything past half throttle I get a bog and/or die out.

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
So what other information have you not disclosed? We got 1/3 of the story in the first post and 1/3 more in the last post.

While you said it bogged down after the oil change, you never mentioned working on the carb, so now I can tell you that you have a carb problem. You cannot fix a carb by installing a kit. The kit contains new parts that may be needed when a carb is rebuilt - just installing the parts is not rebuilding a carb, but the rebuild kit assemblers are getting rich selling parts that are not usually needed and will not fix a specific problem.

What needs to be done is to completely disassemble the carb and have the parts cleaned in a heated sonic cleaner with a chemical solvent specifically formulated for cleaning white metal (aluminum, zinc, titanium and tin to mention a few). Most modern motorcycle dealerships, automatic transmission repair shops and well equipped independent motorcycle, ATV, lawn mower and small engine repair shops have sonic cleaners. The most important part is the solution they use in the cleaners. I personally took about 4 years to find the satisfactory cleaning agent for my sonic cleaner It cost about $100 a gallon, but one gallon of chemical will yield 9 gallons of solution and last for over a year under normal (not daily) use.

Get the carb cleaned, rebuilt and properly adjusted and it will run fine. BTW - use 91 octane non ethanol fuel - if you use ethanol blended fuel, use it up or drain and refill every 30 days - put the old fuel in your fuel injected car or truck to dispose of it as automotive fuel systems can dispose of adulterated fuel and small quantities of water which is a byproduct of old ethanol fuel that has absorbed moisture from the atmosphere and separated from the gasoline.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I use non ethanol 91, and the carb was not allowing engine to run at all. After the rebuild, it runs fine until anything more than half throttle. I had used pipe cleaner like tools to clean every passage and jet and screw and housing I could. I used air in every passage to blow any debris out and I also let all carb parts soak in carb cleaner for a full 24 hours.
Back to the oil change, I put .1 too many quarts in, so I drained a little and did a touch up to make sure it was at the right level. So the oil level is safe and I haven’t heard any unfamiliar noises.
when I got the wheeler I had to redo the intake valves as it was backfiring through the carburetor.
Below is list of what I have done personally to the wheeler 🔽🔽

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Regardless - backfiring through the carb is not caused by the valves - it's caused by a lean condition in the carburetor - if it does not rev past a certain point and it's not caused by a lack of spark, the the problem is either in the exhaust (restricted) or the carb (not enough or too much fuel mixed with the air) - back to the workbench to get it figured out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carb rebuild as explained
Oil filter replacement(oem)
Oil change(oem)
Rear brake shoes
Front brake pads
Rear tires replaced with ITP holeshot
Brake fluid drained and replaced
Air filter replaced (oem)
New fuel petcock (oem)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carb rebuild as explained
Oil filter replacement(oem)
Oil change(oem)
Rear brake shoes
Front brake pads
Rear tires replaced with ITP holeshot
Brake fluid drained and replaced
Air filter replaced (oem)
New fuel petcock (oem)
Also forgot new nvm spark plug as of today, made no difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after all this spent money, I brought the ol girl to a shop and all this time it has been water in the gas. The store I got gas from was 91 non ethanol but she had water in her🤷‍♀️ I feel like I wasted all that time and money for nothing

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Post #4 - water in the carb - drain screw

I always suspect gas from the pump having water in it due to alcohol being hygroscopic (it seeks water)

If I haven't already got it in a post under the tech garage section, I'll try to find time to go through it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts