Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I need some help. I was riding my bike yesterday then I took a break and when I started the engine again, I heard a loud knocking noise coming from the engine then it turned off. I tried turning back on but it does not do anything but just a click. I dont know if the big knocking noise is because the piston went bad or something. Please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good morning all. I am new to this website. I am having problems with my quad and I was told about this website for help. I need some help. I was riding my bike yesterday then I took a break and when I started the engine again, I heard a loud knocking noise coming from the engine then it turned off. I tried turning back on but it does not do anything but just a click. I dont know if the big knocking noise is because the piston went bad or something. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Impossible to say without some investigation - my first guess would be the flywheel came loose or the starter drive came loos from the flywheel - take the alternator cover off to examine the flywheel, starter drive, stator and have access to the crankshaft for turning by hand to try to determine where the problem is or might be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good evening. I am having problems trying to set timing on my bike. When I put the dot aligned with the arrow, on the other side the T does not align. How can I adjust one side at the time? Please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impossible to say without some investigation - my first guess would be the flywheel came loose or the starter drive came loos from the flywheel - take the alternator cover off to examine the flywheel, starter drive, stator and have access to the crankshaft for turning by hand to try to determine where the problem is or might be.
Thank you for your response. I found out what the problem was. Now the problem is setting the time because I adjust the dot with the arrow on one side but the other side the T does not align. How can I adjust one side at the time because if I set the T on the other side then the dot moves and does not align on the other side

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
How much movement are we talking about? 1/32 of an inch is fine and inch is not. And BTW, what did you find as being the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is more than 1/32. It does not align. The knocking noise inside the engine was cause by a pin that came off from one of the plastic wheel from the throttle valve inside the carburetor. Apparently the wheel came off and the pin went inside the engine. I had to tear the engine apart to make sure the piston or valves were not broken and is when I found the little pin inside hitting the piston. I still need to figure out how to align the dot and the T because it looks like everything moves at the same time together. It looks like I have to align one side at the time but do not know how

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
I recommend you remove the spark plug and use a plastic straw or rod to feel for TDC while turning the engine by hand - when TDC is found physically, check to see which mark is off - if the flywheel mark is off, remove the LH cover and pull the flywheel to inspect and probably replace the key - with the cover off, the key should be in line with the axis through the center of the head and cylinder at TDC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts