Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 with just under 1300 miles on it. Original owner. Not ONE problem with it other than the foot brake sticking...

Sat for about 6 weeks with minimal riding. I use Premium Gas. And Honda Certified Oil. Just went to move it (had it parked outside for that time - yes, BAD owner)... would NOT start. Finally got it to start (the next day) and it had a hard time idling. When it did... I let it run for several minutes to warm up.

Problem is, it will only run up to about 10 mph. Given it gas to go faster - cuts it out, and backfires! 1st and 2nd gear is about all it will do. Holding the push/pull choke OPEN - allows more speed - not 100% - but about 80%. It WILL idle just fine... with choke OFF.

Changed the plug - no help (just HOPING it would work - lol).

I am fairly good with a wrench... on cars, but never worked on a ATV as this is the first one that I have owned and the first problem that I have had.

Any help is appreciated!

Stonehouse

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Drain the carb, check the gas tank for water, if you live in an area that has alcohol added to the fuel - drain the gas tank and put in fresh gas. If that doesn't fix it, check the valve clearence and if that's not the problem - pull the carb and have it serviced.

Alcohol combines with water causing the alcohol to fall out of the gas and settle on the bottom of the tank. Alcohol is highly corrosive and when combined with water can damage a petcock, carb and other things in as little as 30 days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply... I will drain the gas tank today. I know they add that darn ethanol in the gas here... that is the reason that I use premium gas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts