Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 450 idle is not consistent. Some times its fast, and some times its low idle and rough. If I stab the throttle it has a dead spot, but if I give it throttle slower it runs great. It is 100% stock, and has been sitting most of its life. It has about 10 hours on it since new. I think the carb may just need cleaned. Also the header pipe glows red at idle. Any ideas would be great. Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi jason. well if your header pipe is glowing i would say its a little lean.but if its all stock there wouldnt be a reason for that.for starters you could drain all the gas out and start fresh. and after if you have the same problems check to see if all your carb hoses and tubing are in good shape and have no holes.sometimes rodents like to chew on stuff. also you can try adjusting your fuel screw out a 1/4 turn at a time to richen the mixture. befor turning it back it all the way in counting how many turns its at now. if you are finding that you have to be out more that 3 turns i would bumb up your pilot jet a size.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the stock pilot jet is a 42 I would put a 45 in and that will cure the stumbling throttle, after you give the carb a good cleaning that is. ZTry running about a 1/4 can of seafoam and premium fuel through it and see if that clears it up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drained the gas, and filled it up with fresh. It helped it alot. I am going to clean the carb this week end, check the fuel screw, and run sea foam throught it. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I strongly recommend staying away from seafoam it was good back in the day with leaded gas but has not been reformulated since and it actually has a type of ethanol in it and for off road vehicles we use high octane gas to stay away from ethanol. It is always good to treat your fuel and in my opinion the best bang for your buck is johnson evinrude 2+4 todays gas has about a 30 day shelf life and by the time you get it out of the pump you can probably figure two weeks if you add the 2+4 they guarentee it will maintain the octain rateing for one year and will not phase seperate. Yamaha, mercury, and all the manufacturers have their own fuel stabalizer/conditioner but like I said the 2+4 gives you the best bang for your buck once again in my opinion its just safe insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts