Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought this quad for my son without the factory clutch cable installed and i want to reinstall it. I have purchased the cable and the lifter arm but i dont know the location for the lifter arm,
thanks

· Super Moderator
4,815 Posts
First I presume it is a TRX250EX and not a 250TE?

This is the parts for a TRX250EX
Font Auto part Drawing Engineering Line art

You should have (at the least) parts 2, 7, 8 and 15 to make the installation.

The cover has to be removed, the spring put in place, the lifter arm installed and engaged with the return spring then the retaining roll pin #15 installed through the lifter arm to retain it in position.

· Super Moderator
4,815 Posts
What you have it a TRX250TM - it has a semi-automatic clutch system - no cable or lifter arm - there is actually 3 clutches; a standard multi-plate wet clutch that is operated by the gear shift lever, a centrifugal clutch that transmits power from the crankshaft to the manual clutch and inside the centrifugal clutch a sprag one way clutch that provides engine braking and the ability to push/pull start the engine when the battery is weak.

Motor vehicle Font Wheel Auto part Circle

10 & 17are the centrifugal clutch, 27 goes into 17 and is the one way clutch - all the rest of the parts are the manual clutch.

Font Auto part Parallel Drawing Line art

#18 is the manual clutch release which is splined to the gear change shaft

Font Engineering Auto part Drawing Machine

Parts 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12 are operated by part 18 in the previous pic and are responsible for operating the manual clutch during shifting.

· Super Moderator
4,815 Posts
You REALLY do not know the vehicle at all do you?

There are two cables on the lever - the lower cable is for the parking brake and the upper cable is the reverse lock out cable. Whoever you bought it from should have explained the operation, but from the looks of it, it needs to be taken to a shop for the routine maintenance that it has never had.

If it is adjusted and working correctly, you park the vehicle, lock the brake and it prevents it from moving unexpectedly. Now the upper part is the reverse lock out - you are supposed to press the plunger down, applying the brake pulls the cable to release the shift drum so it can be shifted into reverse. BTW, it appears the parking brake lock lever is bent and needs to be replaced or at least reshaped into a functional operator.

Note: the rear brake operator is a foot lever on the RH side - adjusted correctly you apply the rear brake by foot before setting and releasing the parking brake hand lever.

Good luck

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea you are correct i dont know much about this quad but, thanks to you i know more than i did. I did know about the parking brake its not functioning properly so i will work on that. I havent had quads since i was a kid so getting back into it for my kids.
Thanks for all your help I appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts