Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a 2007 TRX250EX for my son and have a few questions and I'm probably going to ramble a bit.
First thing, changed all the fluids,cleaned the air filter and replaced the spark plug. All the fluids were fairly dirty.

In a nutshell the clutch slips. I disconnected the manual clutch and found that it didn't slip nearly as bad.
I pulled the trigger on new parts...clutch plates, springs and the auto clutch assembly. I have disassembled the front side. One of things I found was the threads are not great on the shafts for either clutch. I removed the stakes for each. Just an opinion but stupid design.

I've started reassembly and have the manual clutch on but not tightened down. The auto clutch is on but I don't know if it is seated as it can move the outer part of the clutch up and down on the crank. Maybe an 1/8" of play. Should that play be there. I'm wondering if the threads are not letting the nut pull the auto clutch hub on and I would like to NOT strip the threads on the crank. I guess I could wack the clutch with a mallet to see if its seated. Assembly pic attached.
Thoughts, Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
The centrifugal clutch hub floats on the shaft - the clutch assembly is what tightens to the shaft with the nut.

Not knowing what parts you purchased, you probably got the manual clutch fiber plates, but not the driven steel plates. Before you finish the assembly, take the steel plates to a machine shop or an automatic transmission shop and have the plates glass bead blasted to recondition the surfaces - it will make the clutch more positive when engaged. When the centrifugal clutch is installed, the clutch hub has to be rotated to get the shoulder of the clutch to enter the one way clutch. The one way clutch provides for engine braking and push starting. The clutch should lock to the crank when the hub is rotated clockwise and freewheel when rotated counter clockwise. When the centrifugal clutch has engaged the one way clutch, then the nut can be tightened.

Any other questions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks. I purchased clutch kit which includes the discs and steel plates and springs. I've scratched them up with sos pads and soaked both in oil. also purchased the centrifugal clutch.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
If the plates were new no scratching was necessary, but wont hurt - what kind of kit did you get? One that advertised heavy duty springs? Will shift a bit harsh with HD springs and will require a bit more pressure on the shift lever to actuate the clutch, but other than that it will work fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The initial on Assembly is the up and down motion on the shaft for the centrifugal clutch. Should that play be there?

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
If the shaft is moving, NO - that is the crankshaft - it's carried in a ball bearing and is designed with zero clearance - also, that bearing is sold as part of the crankshaft - it may be replaceable, but not by the typical service department.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the crank is solid. Its the clutch bell that moves up and down. I've got everything tightened up and I'm just going to cross my fingers. The piece that moves is in red. there is a washer under it on the crank and part 23 washer. but those are the only limiters. we'll find out....i guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Yeah, that bell just floats on the shaft - IIRC there is a bronze bushing inside the bore of the bell, but it is not a precision piece - it just transmits crankshaft power to the manual clutch gear via the centrifugal clutch assy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts