Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!- The quad will not idle more than 10 seconds with choke off and also a pain to get going unless you leave choke on and pop-it once your get going. Wont even idle long with choke off after an hour ride.

Notes: This quad has always had this problem since I bought it new two years ago (dealer repo).

Now has twist throttle and K&N air filter. Everything else is stock.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,341 Posts
Besides 'what type of fuel are you using?' the problem is intake related. The K&N filter isn't helping matters and there is a slight possibility that too tight of a valve clearence might be contributing, but not idling plus the stumble indicates a carb problem. Either the accelerator pump needs adjusted or repaired (adjusting includes changing the leak jet in the float bowl), the fuel/air screw needs adjusted, the slow jet needs cleaned, replaced or resized or the hot start plunger may be stuck open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I can start with eliminate some of the causes;

1. what type of fuel are you using?- 91, always fresh. Run the same as my crf450r.
  2. K&N filter isn't helping matters- will the K&N suck too much air with stock jets?
  3. too tight of a valve clearence might be contributing- have had valves done this last October.
  4. the accelerator pump needs adjusted or repaired (adjusting includes changing the leak jet in the float bowl)-no clue, would have to look it up.
  5. the fuel/air screw needs adjusted- Gone every direction with no change.
  6. the slow jet needs cleaned, replaced or resized- have cleaned several times but could need resizing from K&N?
  7. the hot start plunger may be stuck open- No clue, will look this one up.
Thanks alot, I'll check this out this weekend and get back to you unless you can think of any other possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
3,341 Posts
The K&N has little restriction to air flow leaning out the mixture at all engine speeds.

If the accelerator pump is not adjusted properly, the throttle slide opens ahead of a shot of fuel from the pump causing a stumble.

If the fuel air screw has no effect it indicates the circuit is not working - clogged jet, clogged passage or something to that effect. Re-sized jet? Honda or any type of aftermarket jet is fine. K&N will work also, but no need to pay extra for the name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts