Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here and I need some help just got a 2007 trx450r
with only 35hr has sat for 2yrs my problem is that it will start with the choke on at a high rpm but when I take it off it just dies its all stock but guy
said it has a jet kit also the pipe gets red hot hopping I did not waste my money please help thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
No - you didn't waste your money - the carb just needs to be cleaned (completely serviced)

The carb does not have a choke - it has a starter jet - it ads fuel and air to the intake stream without having to open the throttle to get a fast idle. Opening the throttle causes the starter jet to become ineffective and the engine dies from a lack of fuel.

About $100 to $150 should fix it right up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info I will pull it off tonight and check it all out as far as the pip getting red hot is that normal

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
The pipe can be red hot normally, but you only see it in a garage or in subdued light

I have a stainless steel pipe on mine - it doesn't look red hot outdoors, but it is - take it indoors and you can see it. I know idiots who light cigarettes while they are riding by touching them to the pipe near the head.

But while red hot is normal, how red and how fast does it get red? The heat of the exhaust can also indicate a lean condition. I'm sure the carb you have is lean by your description. Get it clean and working properly and it will take a little longer for the pipe to turn red and then it will be a dull red - not bright red and only visible in subdued light

1 - 4 of 4 Posts