Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while ago i was racing a YFZ and ended up in a canal i drained all the fluids changed the oil three times pulled the carb cleaned it out two times and i know there is no water in the fuel system the bike runs great with the choke on but as soon as the choke goes in it dies is there something electrical at fault?any help would be greatly appreciated! thanx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will try again this weekend but i have completely tore this carb down twice i have removed all the jets float needle valve and sprayed every thing out with carb cleaner but i didnt blow it out with compressed air i hope this works it just seems wierd that after it got wet it started doing this thanks for your help

·
Registered
61 Posts
sorry i was off on the pilot.

so next, adjust your idle knob clockwise until it will idle, this may be all it is if it wasn't installed with the same free play.

and once it will idle then you can see if it is running properly. if not, then we can move to your fuel screw(if it was removed)

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Spray carb cleaner is like painting with a rattle can while standing in the neighbors garage.

Get the good carb cleaner (Berryman's Professional) (about $50 a gallon) - disassemble the carb (turn the fuel screw all the way in till lightly seated counting the turns so it can be set back to it's original position) then remove the fuel screw. Make sure you get the spring, washer and o-ring out of the fuel screw hole. Soak all the metal parts in the cleaner for about 4 hours. Remove from the cleaner and rinse with lacquer thinner. Blow compressed air through all the passages making sure air comes out from the holes where it is supposed to come out from. If there any doubt about the jets, use new jets and assemble the carb. Set the float level per the instructions in the service manual. Put the spring, washer and o-ring on the fuel screw and install the fuel screw to it's original position. Install the carb making sure not to over tighten the clamps (which can cause a vacuum leak). Using fresh 93 octane fuel, fill the carb and start the engine. Run the engine for about 5 minutes to allow sufficinet warm up before setting the idle. Set the idle speed to the desired RPM and make final adjustments to the fuel screw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
damn sounds like you have done a couple of these! okay im going to get that dip tomorrow and hopefully it works. yesterday i turned the fuel screw in and it went 2 complete turns before it seated does that sound about right?

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
I'll have to check the manual for the initial fuel screw setting - it will be a couple of days - I'm going on vacation - leaving in the mornning - will be back next week

Anyone else have the tech info on the fuel screw setting?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.