Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone i am new to trxforums and needing some help with my 08 400ex. The clutch is not disengaging i believe. with the lever pulled in and i try to shift into gear the countershaft just takes off spinning even with pressure on the sprocket to hold it in place. Chain is not on btw but i dont believe that would matter i have put alot of pressure on the sprocket. i have taken out the clutch and inspected all the plates and basket all looked fine besides very minimal grooving on the basket. I have adjusted the clutch cable both in and out to see if that was the issue but no changes. The clutch cover lever also seems to have no issues. Im not sure what to check next just looking for some guidance. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Put a chain on it - just the oil between the plates will cause enough drag to make the transmission shafts spin with a fair amount of force. The only other thing that I can think of would be the possibility of the driven plates (one or more) being warped and acting like a spring - even then (with a chain on it) it would still release, but it would drag to the point of making shifting difficult and the machine would want to creep with the clutch released. To inspect the driven plates for warp, clean all the oil off and lay them on a flat surface (like a counter top) each one should lay flat with no gap around either the inside or outside edge. Turn each plate over - if there is no gap and you turn it over and then there is a gap, that plate is warped and should be replaced for better clutch operation, but a brand new clutch will still try to drive the engine sprocket when the chain is off of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. I will try that tomorrow. I am also having an electrical problem with the headlight switch. When i try to switch the lights to the on position the neutral light goes out. So i tried to take it apart and there was a ground disconnected i put it back where i though it should go and now the neutral light wont come on at all. I just went ahead and ordered a new switch assembly. But i am wondering if maybe i could have messed up the cdi module or something else??

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
No - you didn't mess up the CDI module - the CDI is not connected to the battery - you kill spark by shorting the black wire with the white stripe to ground.

Headlight is easy too - first, the solid black wire is switched power - red wire is 24/7 power - black wire becomes hot when the key switch is turned on

Inside the switch you took apart; you say there was a ground disconnected - how do you know it was a ground?

There is only one ground wire inside the switch - all other grounds are connected outside the switch - got a pic of what you did?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pics at the moment. But it was a black wire that connects behind the yellow switch for the headlight on and off. I turned the key on earlier and the neutral light was back on im not sure what's going on probably gremlins. Also i had tried to run a 9in light bar to the headlight connector maybe it wasn't meant to run that much power through it? I ordered the new switch assembly so i dont want to mess that one up to if the light bar was the cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts