Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for letting me join. I recently bought a 2009 rancher 420 AT and my mistake didn’t notice it going from nuetral to 2nd Till I got it home. Guy sai it needed a mode select switch and he put a new pgm in it cause his boy fried it hooking up the battery backwards.So the issue I’m having is that it goes from nuetral to 2nd and the auto won’t work at all. But I took the old computer out and he gave me the old one but the part numbers are different. One says it’s for the FE model. I hooked up the old one won’t start but it will go into auto and 1st gear with just the ignition on but goes straight back to nuetral. So I’m replacing the computer with the right one first. Is there anything else I should check. Would the computer throw everything off like that. Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Welcome to the forum

An FE model is 4x4 electric shift

The FPA model is 4x4 programmed automatic shift

The two have completely different clutch designs - the FE has 3 clutches (a centrifugal clutch, a sprag clutch and a manual multi plate wet clutch that is released via the shift shaft)

Font Motor vehicle Auto part Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

The FPA uses a 2 stage multi plate wet clutch that I have zero experience with and cannot explain the operation of
Motor vehicle Organism Font Auto part Circle

The correct ECM is critical for proper operation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the new computer and put it in. Everything works like it should now. The gear switch motor sounded a little noisey is that normal. I took it off and I read there’s suppose to be grease in it but it was bone dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do. Thank you one other question. The guy put a hmf exhaust and gave me the optimizer should that stay plugged in or can they be rode without them hooked up. I don’t know much about those but I thought they had to be hooked up to get the best performance

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
It's not a performance machine, it's a utility ATV - it will run about the same optimizer or not - if it's EFI, it will adjust to the muffler a little bit with each start and run cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts