Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from our free practice day and banquet for our spring series, Practice all day and received awards for our series, 1st inopen C class but i think my motor may be going south after today, the temp light kept coming on after 4 or 5 laps, have engine ice in radiator, fan working and still spittin out of overflow tube on coolant tank,smokin a little when first cranked up but smoke goes away quickly think its time to tear it down and rebuild from the crank up $$$$ may be awhile before i ride again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Before diving into all that, when is the last time you check valves and what about the thermostat?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinkging about the thermostat just havn't checked yet, valves still ok, worn but still within specs but will replace when motor is down. Motor has a lot or racin and practice hours on it so time to replace crank,better safe than sorry don't want a crank failure and f-up the cases and going to replace piston with new one like the power of a fresh motor nothin like it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two years old ridin just about everyweekend probably around 200 hr's crank and bearings have never been changed, should have changed them out when i split the cases and fixed my trans when i lost third gear, i spent $500 fixin that doin the work myself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is probably a gear that he works EXTREMELY hard running on tracks. It is rare, or at least I've only seen it once, that the whole tranny goes out. It is usually one gear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After tearing it down found some wear on other gears, thrust washers shift forks out put shaft don't like doin things twice so replaced stuff while i was there.the 06 and 07's don't have the trans the 04 and 05's did and i don't use the clutch asmuch as i should but i do know its a pain to have to tear all that apart to fix but not as hard as you would think been holdin up good ever since. the whole tranny did not go out, like Red said i use 3rd gear a lot and no 3rd sucks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oem straight from the honda dealer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Tom, new crank, bearings, seals, possibly 3mm strocker crank don't know yet, new gaskets, cam chain, new 13-5 to 1 or 14 to1 J&E pro series piston, new valves, +1 intake and exhaust, new guides have the port work finished to go with +1 valves new cam according to Jeff at Maximumn ATV who is doing my head work, should be putin out around 60 to 63 hp when finished. just going to take a while not in any hurry will probably strip frame down also and repaint.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Red you are to easily excited!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:D:D I know thats right:D:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts