Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got brand new trx450r 1st one, spent alot on it so my wife dont want me buying to many parts right now. figured 1st thing i could do was upgrade intake an exhaust. My question is if i get one of the K&N filters or velocity is it fine to take the air box out? I saw a buddy had no air box just the filter and cover over it? Pro's, Con's?? Also have no idea what is good or bad Name brands for this thing i youtubed different exhaust sounds best i could do, is Two Brothers V.A.L.E. M-7 exhaust any good? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Exhaust? - the quieter the better - sound does not equal power!

Intake? - if you want to shorten the life of your engine, get a K&N filter, or better yet, get one of the Chinese K&N copies. For maximum air flow, do away with the filter entirely and install a velocity stack.

Leave it completely stock and install nitrous oxide - you will get more power without having to change the intake or exhaust.

My opinion - if you need more power and performance than the 450R has to offer, spend your money on a more powerful machine. How about a 1000cc fuel injected liquid cooled 4 cylinder? The Chinese sell them for less than the price of a TRX450R and the motor is almost bullet proof - only problem is you can't get replacement plastic and the frame will break and the wheels will break and the axles will bend and the wheel lug bolts will shear off and it won't handle for shit and the suspension sux and the electronics have to be replaced every other month, but man it's fast!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont care if people like or dislike honda or any other brand, got home from deployment wanted a 4 wheeler 1st one i saw that i liked i bought it. got the 450r was told thats plenty enough in the small trails thats around where i live could have gotten somehting bigger but it didnt look as nice as the honda. Honestly to me fast enough im not a racer or someone going off jumps. I asked about the Intake air filter figured k&N filter or soemthing similar would be better than stock sponge thing thats on there. an Exhaust i dont care if its loud or quiet Asking who knows more than i do about any of the brands exhaust to point to better direction. i dont care about power i just want a nicer lookin exhaust even if it only adds .05 % power

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Get an FMF Q4 - about $300 for the muffler - will work with a stock headpipe or add a POWER FLO pipe for about $240.

The stock air filter is the best, or a good replacement is a UNI or TWIN AIR for about $30 or $40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks "here 2 help"
So I just got extra stock replacement filters if every1 says those are best might as well stay with it, just figured k&n would would be the same thing but last little longer.
Went to dealer for oil and filters asked what they had thought few people did mention that exhaust also mentioned Curtis sparks said was a little bit more but I guess they mainly deal with honda? I'm not jumping into it 1 don't have money yet 2 I think it's plenty fast enough for the small trails I ride on now from what the service guys were saying exhaust an rejet gonna make big difference

1 - 5 of 5 Posts