Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 trx450r, I swapped the thumb throttle for the twist throttle. The twist does not have a cutout or connection to connect the tps, that’s what I was told it is, so I’m not sure what to do with the switch. It’s just a small button the gets pressed when the throttle is closed.
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Gee - the problems we create for ourselves

The switch in the throttle housing works on conjunction with the switch on the carb - the TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor and it is a separate unit that changes the ignition curve based on the degree of opening of the throttle.

If the switch on the carb is open and the switch in the throttle closes, it kills the ignition (stuck open throttle condition) if both switches are closed, the ignition is live - there is no description of a carb switch closed and throttle switch open condition. I believe if the throttle switch is simply disconnected (never closes) the quad will function normally, but the safety feature of a stuck throttle condition is eliminated. You will just have to try it to find out what works as I do not have one to play with at the moment. Whatever you do, don't screw with the TPS on the carb (3 wires) the switch only has 2 wires - it is difficult to reset a TPS without an accurate meter and the proper tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tha
Gee - the problems we create for ourselves

The switch in the throttle housing works on conjunction with the switch on the carb - the TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor and it is a separate unit that changes the ignition curve based on the degree of opening of the throttle.

If the switch on the carb is open and the switch in the throttle closes, it kills the ignition (stuck open throttle condition) if both switches are closed, the ignition is live - there is no description of a carb switch closed and throttle switch open condition. I believe if the throttle switch is simply disconnected (never closes) the quad will function normally, but the safety feature of a stuck throttle condition is eliminated. You will just have to try it to find out what works as I do not have one to play with at the moment. Whatever you do, don't screw with the TPS on the carb (3 wires) the switch only has 2 wires - it is difficult to reset a TPS without an accurate meter and the proper tools.
Ya my plan was to leave it for that reason or try different things as I start it like press the button when I start it to see if anything different happens.
Thanks for the input!!
Ya my plan was to leave it for that reason or try different things as I start it like press the button when I start it to see if anything different happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts