Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike runs an drives fine until I hit the front or rear break at which time the fuse blows an all charging stops an the lights go dim. After you turn off the bike it will not start until you change the fuse as it is also connected to the starter/headlights an neutral indicator. I have removed all plastics an visual inspected all wires as much as one can without removing all wire loom an I am unable to find any obvious issues. I have Inspected all plugs an connectors an they all Appear to be intact as well I have replaced the entire rear break/running light housing as well. As long as the headlights are turned on the rear running light is also on I have blown the fuse with the rear switch unplugged wile using the front break and Vice versa. Hope that was clear enough. HELP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Bulbs are stock in fact the entire bike is 100% stock except the tires. The fuse blows regardless if the headlights are on or off

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Then you have a short in the wiring, a poor connection (especially the possibility of a poor ground) or a defective diode.

First, disconnect the head and tail lights - the black wire to each switch is hot - when the switch is closed, the green/yellow is hot - if the fuse blows with all the lights disconnected, look for a short in the grn/yel wire - if the fuse does not blow, plug the tail light back in and try again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn’t have time to trace the wires out with great detail but I did unplug the rear light an headlight an tested the break switch an the fuse still blew. All the wire loom looks perfect. This bike is not ragged out it was a leftover 14 that wasn’t purchased until 16 an then it sat for 2years in a garage. So essentially it only has 2-3 years of riding on it I really don’t foresee it being a chaffed or chewed up wire from a rodent. I think I’m gonna chase the bad diode theory more than the damaged wire theory. When the harness pictured below is unplugged the fuse does not blow not sure If that narrows anything down at all. When standing in front of the
Bike That plug is the one located to the right of the headlight plug before it splits to go out to both headlights
E

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
The grn/yel wire feeds the brake light - there either has to be a short in the grn/yel or an internal short in the switch - unplug both switches connect an ohm meter to battery neg and the grn/yel wire with the bulb out of the tail light socket, there should be no continuity - check at both switch connectors - if all is good, turn the key on and jump the blk and grn/yel wires together, if the fuse does not blow, install the bulb and try again - if the light lights with out blowing the fuse, the problem is in a switch - if the fuse blows when the black wire is shorted to the grn/yel, you may have a faulty socket or a bad bulb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like you were correct about the green wire with the yellow stripe being the issue. I haven’t replaced it yet but I did make up a temporary jumper wire an that solved the problem. So now I just need to take the time an make it look OEM. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts