Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is more of an annoyance than anything, but, I can no longer electric start my 400 unless Im holding the clutch lever in.

My 400 was stolen a year ago, so the cut the wires and such. I got it back and had the ignition wires and assembly replace. However since then I can only start with clutch in.

Aside from taking it back to the mechanic who handled the insurance repair, how can I diagnose whats causing this? The neutral light is on, when pulling the clutch btw

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Gotta be more specific about the model

There was no TRX400 in 2015 - all 420's
TRX400X in 2014
Completely different wiring, but.............

The 400X is so easy to steal - no wire cutting involved - so the thief was an amateur and the mechanic should have never let it go until it was right.

A wild ass guess is a wire is crossed somewhere - the CDI thinks it's in gear - forward or reverse - doesn't matter to the electronics - and if it's a 420, it could be the electronic display causing the problem

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
OK - now I'm going to guess a bad diode

It's a square box with a light green wire on one side and a yellow wire with a green stripe on the other side. It can act like a fuse if it gets reverse polarity.

If the idiots that stole it tried to "hot wire" it and touched the red wire from the battery to the yellow/green wire going to the solenoid, then the diode would burn out because it would short through the neutral switch.

I know the last paragraph doesn't make sense to you, but check that diode - it should have continuity one way but not the other. I'm betting it doesn't have continuity either way, therefore the clutch has to be pulled in whether the neutral light is on or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Usually in the wiring harness wrapped in tape near the junction of the tank and seat - there's two, check them both or switch them - look for a square shaped lump in the wiring harness near the battery - the diode could be black plastic or metal with ridges - has two terminals, one vertical and one horizontal, so it can't be installed wrong - take it out and if the start procedure is the same it's probably bad - if you have a meter, set it on a high ohms scale or if it has a diode setting, set it there - the diode should have resistance in one direction, but not the other - the diode can fail in one of two ways, no resistance in either direction (burned out) or resistance in both directions (shorted out)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.