Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 17x for my son, and when you let off the clutch the bike wants to roll. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sport clutch from what I understand isn't supposed to move until you get on the throttle. I have tried to adjust the clutch many times, and nothing I do keeps it from not rolling on its own. I can back it off enough where it wont move, but also wont move giving it some gas as well. Does it sound like a bad clutch, or just not adjusting it correctly. Any tips would be great. I've tried to back the screw out both directions until it doesn't roll no more. Adjust the lever, and get same results each time. I have adjusted according to the repair manual. Also if you all think the clutch needs replaced, how hard of a job is it. It has fresh oil in it as well. Can the idle be to low causing this? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,495 Posts
I guess I don't understand how you are "letting off the clutch". The 250EX has 3 clutches; a centrifugal clutch that transmits power from the crankshaft to the manual clutch, the manual clutch which is released when operating the shift lever to change gears and a sprag clutch which transmits power from the rear wheels to the crankshaft for engine braking and the ability to push start.

Only the manual clutch can be adjusted and then only to change the point of disengagement to facilitate shifting.

If the idle is too high, it will creep when put in gear - if the oil viscosity is heavy, it will creep - if there is a problem with the centrifugal clutch (broken spring), it will creep.

What happens if you operate the shift lever and hold it in the direction of the shift? Operating the shift lever operates the manual clutch - if you shift either up or down and hold the shift lever at the end of the shift, the manual clutch will be held in release - if adjusted properly and the clutch is not damaged in some way and the engine has 10w40 JASO rated oil in it and the engine is at normal operating temperature (hot - been run for 15 minutes or more - not idling for 15 minutes) holding the shift lever disengages the clutch and it will set still even if you accelerate the engine.

If you decide you need to work on the clutches - you will need oil, front cover gasket and a clutch puller to remove the centrifugal clutch - std metric hand tools for the rest of the operation.

I suggest you adjust the clutch per the manual and change the oil to assure you have JASO rated 10w40 (preferred) or 10w30 (option) oil in the engine run it fro 15 minutes and adjust the idle if necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, thank you, new to this Sport Clutch option,, works perfect when using clutch in manual mode as I do on my mx 2 strokes,, got 2013 Honda TRX250x for Gf since she needs to learn to use clutch, when I put in gear from a stop without clutch lever pulled, it will go forward ard and stall, as a manual would do when not using clutch,, or if riding in any gear, even 1st and come to stop, it will stall,, making me nuts ,lol ,, she has to start out with clutch or is will stall, feels like sport clutch is not working at all,, as I said, it is fine when using clutch like a standard bike,, sorry, I am new to these sport clutch options,, thank you,,GG

·
Super Moderator
3,495 Posts
If it is not idling too high, you need to have the centrifugal clutch checked - if one of the springs on the centrifugal clutch breaks, it will drive full time - if it was worked on previously, incorrect assembly of the centrifugal clutch will cause it to behave as a direct drive between the crankshaft and the manual clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is not idling too high, you need to have the centrifugal clutch checked - if one of the springs on the centrifugal clutch breaks, it will drive full time - if it was worked on previously, incorrect assembly of the centrifugal clutch will cause it to behave as a direct drive between the crankshaft and the manual clutch.
Thank you,, Idle was a lil high, I adjusted it to where it should be, no fix, not sure if it was worked on, prev owner was younger guy, I bet it is what you said, thanks my friend and will let you know when I get into it,, have a safe weekend ,, Giovanni

1 - 5 of 5 Posts