Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I pull this apart and replace a clutch that isn't needed I figured I'd ask.

I have a 2007 250ex with the sport clutch. It seems to engage fine and go through all the gears fine, no creeping at idle. When accelerating in any gear the rpm will increase quicker than the speed, indicating an rpm flare, or clutch slip. I have a 2004 250ex also, that has an external jam nut style clutch adjustment, on this one I do not see one.

Is there any way to adjust this, short of and engagement point by adjusting the lever?

Am I correct that the sole purpose of the sport clutch is that you can use if it you want to, or not if you don't?

There was a period of "abuse" to do wheelies by popping the clutch. Also my daughter was using the clutch excessively to attempt to learn how to shift, perhaps overheating it as it started slipping the same day she was doing that. Once I noticed the slipping I changed the oil, hoping for the best.

I use amsoil 0w40 Powersports oil with these ratings • API SL/CF, SJ, SH, SG • JASO MA/MA2 • ISO-L-EMA2, same oil I use in my 2004 250ex, 400ex, xr250, 400. 600, 650...yadda yadda, with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
You need to adjust some free play into the cable - if there is free play and the clutch still slips, it will need to be replaced.

The purpose of the clutch is to facilitate shifting - in the earlier models there was a clutch release incorporated into the shift lever and operated the clutch automatically with each shift
Font Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering

In 06 the auto release was redesigned to a manual clutch in a effort to more easily teach novice riders how to use a manual clutch
Font Auto part Drawing Engineering Line art

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to adjust some free play into the cable - if there is free play and the clutch still slips, it will need to be replaced.

The purpose of the clutch is to facilitate shifting - in the earlier models there was a clutch release incorporated into the shift lever and operated the clutch automatically with each shift
View attachment 4979

In 06 the auto release was redesigned to a manual clutch in a effort to more easily teach novice riders how to use a manual clutch
View attachment 4980
Interesting. I felt the cable where it attaches to #7 and it felt like it had some slack, not much..but some. Right now I have the battery out and in my wife's 2004, but will be getting a new one on Friday.

If I completely remove the cable clutch cable, the system should still operate as normal (meaning it shouldn't slip unless the clutch is bad)?

I read up on how the older 250ex's operate with the shift lever, pretty interesting. Next time I am on the 04 I want to try holding the shift lever just to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Sometimes just a dragging cable will cause the clutch to slip - if it takes more than finger pressure to move the inner cable in and out of the sheath, it's shot and should be replaced.

We learned in the early 70's on the ATC's to use the shift lever to operate the clutch without shifting to get the engine speed up and FEED the power to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes just a dragging cable will cause the clutch to slip - if it takes more than finger pressure to move the inner cable in and out of the sheath, it's shot and should be replaced.

We learned in the early 70's on the ATC's to use the shift lever to operate the clutch without shifting to get the engine speed up and FEED the power to the rear wheels.
Well I put a new battery in, disconnected the clutch cable at number seven...still slips. I assume that's a bad clutch?

It's so hard to believe that my wife's '04 that has been beaten to death still has a good clutch, difference in quality between the years I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts