Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted an issue about the bikes clutch now this is a seperate issue. This has been going on for quite a while. Today while riding in the woods we had just pulled out to go home. Somehow my daughter, who was riding it, stalled it. No big deal. But then it wouldn't turn over... We do have an issue of a weak battery so I thought it may just be low . So we pull started it. And yes I do know how to do that since I have had to do it many many times on various bikes. Anyway... wouldn't hit a lick. Tried several times in several different gears. Nothing. So I sent my son back to the houst to get a rope. While he was gone I checked the plug.... fine.. it did turn over with the plug out. So I put the plug in and hit the starter... bam it started right up just like it had a brand new battery. She has said that when she had it at her dads... ( shes my step daughter ) it would die sometimes when it was hot and she would let it cool off and it would start. But we really didn't have it what I would consider to be excessively hot. Just weird. Only other time this has happened to me was on a old 2 stroke and it died shortly after doing that a couple times. I mean full piston melt down. But this bike runs too good normally for me to think that there is anything catastophic about to happen. Good compression and all. Any Ideas??

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Lots of possibilities - you need to start eliminating some. When it dies, does it still have spark? if so, you might try adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good idea Here 2 Help,
if it does not have spark, Check along the throttle cable when you give it gas does the cable come in contact with ant ignition wires it could break a connection...
First though as here 2 help said See if it has spark and if there is power to the spark plug you might try gapping the plug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the valves.... duh I should have thought of that since I have a CRF that you have to check every so often. Any other ideas? Yes it still sparks. I thought about the electronics overheating... have had that issue before. It was firing fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I liken it to baking a cake; if you have all the right ingredients, in fresh condition, in the right amounts, then you get a cake.
With a motor; if you have compression (usually between 100 and 150psi checked with the throttle held open), spark, spark at the right time, fuel and air in the right amounts, then the motor runs.
Now when I mention the cake ingredients have to be fresh, it refers to the motor needing fresh gas and new spark plug. If it still won't run, now you get into the area of not having the oven at the right temp or not cooking for the right time. The spark has to be strong enough to jump the plug gap in the turbulent air inside the cumbustion chamber. If the problem is spark related, it can be difficult to determine the cause accurately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright... so compression is about 150.... valve clearance is fine.... I am going to look over the electrics for any damage. I guess my next line of attack is to ride it till it quits again and be prepared to check for spark immediately. Any other ideas if that is ok?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Could be a fuel problem. Slow delivery from tank (petcock problem or clogged tank vent) or maybe a clogged float bowl vent. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as pull starting goes I ran my 250 out of fuel with a dead battery and tried pop starting it after switching to reserve. luckily I had a long down grade because I was by myself and it would not fire until I shifted out of gear into neutral. Could be a safety feature

1 - 13 of 13 Posts