Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike starts easy and runs but not good stator and cdi were replaced new so I don't think that's the problem it's not smoking a whole bunch so don't think it's a crank seal? Thinking maybe an air leak?? Looks like somebody has used gasket sealer on it bought the bike with this problem previous owner said he took topend apart to check it out which was all in specs so I'm unaware if it was sealed with gasket sealer before or after or both tried bumping up two sizes in main jet with no difference any help tips or info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not an expert on these but how does the engine sound at 1/4 throttle? Does it have typical 1/4 throttle type of power? Or does it sound/act lean or rich? If it's typical, are you 100% positive the linkage is operating the carb correctly? Just throwing stuff out there? ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttle is opening up it acts lean carb is clean has good fuel flow it's hard to get an accurate plug reading with the way it runs so I'm gonna take some carb cleaner and check for air leaks and hope that's the culprit

·
Registered
39 Posts
good to know and thanks for sharing! I'm still hoping I can snag up a 250R in the not too distant future.

My next purchase is a 1978 CR250 Elsinore that is fully restored. Not cheap...but I'm gonna buy it. The owner is holding it for me! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I always liked 85-87 cr250's but I like about any 250 two stroke I can't wait to get mine all back together had to have the motor mounts on the frame all redone so tore motor apart and checked everything and put all new gaskets on it while my frame was getting fixed got to get a few more things then paint the frame but it felt good to ride it yesterday atleast

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah I always liked 85-87 cr250's but I like about any 250 two stroke I can't wait to get mine all back together had to have the motor mounts on the frame all redone so tore motor apart and checked everything and put all new gaskets on it while my frame was getting fixed got to get a few more things then paint the frame but it felt good to ride it yesterday atleast
Very nice! I'd love to see pics when you get it done. The reason I want this older bike is because I'm entering a vintage race this coming April. This is actually a post vinage bike, but they have a class for that too. This is the actual bike that I'm buying:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bike starts easy and runs but not good stator and cdi were replaced new so I don't think that's the problem it's not smoking a whole bunch so don't think it's a crank seal? Thinking maybe an air leak?? Looks like somebody has used gasket sealer on it bought the bike with this problem previous owner said he took topend apart to check it out which was all in specs so I'm unaware if it was sealed with gasket sealer before or after or both tried bumping up two sizes in main jet with no difference any help tips or info is greatly appreciated
where can you find a good gasket sealer? is there any shops that sells aftermarket of it? thanks for any response.

"Too much is never enough"
05 450r
Gasket Sealers, Compounds & Adhesives
Athena 480
hrc kit with hc stage 2
13t front

full big gun race pipe
Big Gun over rev box
tons of heart and BIG BALLS

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Gaskets do not need sealer if the mating surfaces are properly cleaned before assembly. For a gasket, clean and dry is the rule.

For a sealant where gaskets are not used, use Yamabond, Kawasaki bond or ThreeBond 1194 liquid gasket. All are similar. The important thing is to have the mating surfaces clean before applying and don't use too much. Pay attention to the directions that come with the product.

Silicone sealants are out of the question. Silicone is not gas or oil resistant. It will soften and break loose from contact with petroleum products. Ever see an oil pump pick-up screen out of an engine that was assembled with gobs of silicone seal? I have, and I have replaced crankshafts, cams and many other parts damaged from a lack of oil due to silicone seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.