Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a 87 250r and it starts right up and runs great it will rev out perfectly in neutral the only issue is when there's load on the bike it won't hit powerband. It will run good but powerband won't come on. It has a full exhaust with a k&n filter and no lid that's about it. I can't get it right it has a 48 pilot and a 152 main. Everything is fine I put new reeds in new coil and cleaned up the exhaust leaks so what could it be? Jetting?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Putting the air box lid on - if that helps, then start going up on the main jet - about a 160 or 180 might be where you end up

If that doesn't help, then it's probably time for a new set of rings, but since rings are no longer available from Honda, then perhaps a new piston with rings or maybe even a bore job - check the compression (should be 120 psi or higher) - if low, tear the top end down to find out what size the bore is - might have to re-sleeve and start at std. bore

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got 150 compression on a shitty compression tester so its probably higher than that even its probably around 155 or more. Also the bike has a 165 in it now with a 48 pilot should I up on the pilot also? Do you think it's dumping to much fuel or not enough?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I don't know - if it were mine, I would do a full diagnostic, then probably tear the motor down to check for carbon build-up in the exhaust port, check port timing and see where that led me. If the ignition is weak, that could be a cause also. I think it's safe to say it won't be fixed by forum chatter, but if I am proved wrong I will accept that. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.