Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my 1990 trx wont start, fuel gets to carb, spark plug has fire.has oil, wont even fire with starter fluid.
battery is good and hot, fuel is fresh.
green neutral light is on, oil light stays on for about three cranks and goes off.
replaced ignition switch, that wasnt it, replaced starter relay, because it was bad.
started before i replaced relay......but not sure how the relay would cause this?
Coincidence?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Thank you - you have a TRX300FW

I think it is a coincidence that it fails to start after replacing the solenoid, but since you have most of the ingredients, you just need to verify a couple of things.

First - try a new spark plug (any brand other than Champion)
Second is compression - it needs about 120 psi at cranking speed with the throttle held open
Third is spark at the right time - need to check timing with a timing light while cranking the engine

Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im 59 years old and replaced a lot of spark plugs in my life, never once did anything ever run better after the change.
Until now, thanks for sending me back to the basics, i had spark, but replacing the sparkplug fixed me up. I was happy to give it back to my grandson.
thanks again for the help
mack

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
I have seen plenty of bad spark plugs - I have a 2004 Honda CRF250 race bike - the spark plug is $45 and although I do regular maintenance and keep a spare spark plug, I ran the first plug for 8 years - on day, I noticed the engine would stall in corners and was harder than normal to start - I initially blamed it on a change of fuel brands, but after checking the fuel system for water, ruled that out - after a few laps the problem was no worse, but still manifest - I decided to try a new spark plug and the problem was resolved. So I know I need to change the plug every 7 years as long as I do not change other variables and I still carry a spare $45 plug in the tool box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts