Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my father in law and I have a 2005 350 ranger which he uses for light work. Recently it has developed a strange fault.
1. Set key to start position.
2. Attempt to start, it cranks fine but does not fire up, as if it's missing spark.
3. After some time with key left in start position (upwards of five minutes) the oil temp light lights up on the dash. Only when this light comes on will it actually fire up when cranking and it fires up immediately.

My initial thoughts were that there is something lazy in the electronics like a relay that is slow to initialise or something like that. Does anyone have any ideas of what to check.

Thanks.
Brian

·
Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
The oil temp light is actually an LED - I suspect a poor electrical connection on the meter, ECU, CDI or a faulty ground causing the problem and the ground is most likely - a poor connection is sometimes still a connection - it does not take much amperage to light a LED, but it requires a lot of amperage to power the solenoid and even more for the starter motor. The oil temp light is supposed to light initially when the key is turned on as a self check and turn out immediately upon the engine starting.

Start checking, cleaning and waterproofing connections. I think you will find a poor ground causing the problem. A poor ground connection will heat up if it is grounding other peripherals like the tail and brake light and the heat will cause expansion and a tightening of the connection - when the connectors expand sufficiently, the light is turned on and the engine is ready to start. The connection may be external to the display or even possibly internal to the display. If a poor connection cannot be located, it might need to have the display replaced.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts