Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

So my son purchased a 2003 honda 400ex from an estate sale. I took it for a ride today (about 50 miles) and found some issues I would like help with. The machine looks to be completely stock

Handle bars are bent - Looking for a replace brand that will not cost a ton of money
Hand grips are hard - Lots of vibration in hands, looking to replace grips with something softer and will take up some of the vibration
Seems to have a bent rim - front shakes a lot while going down a road but has new tires front and back. Is there a way to test a rim to see if they are bent and what is a cheap replacement rim
I am thinking the UTV needs more low end response so think about dropping down one gear for the sprocket in the front. Will I need to shorten the chain?
Are there any other good modifications to do to this machine to make it more responsive for trail riding

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Handlebars are somewhat universal - they are all 7/8 where the controls mount - the difference is in the width (end to end), the rise (height from where they mount to where your hands grip) and the sweep (angle back from horizontal) - other factors is the center width, length of end of bar to first bend (where the controls and grips mount), thickness of the material, the material (aluminum or steel), color, cross bar or no cross bar and perhaps hollow or solid. The only way to get the same bend as what it currently has is to buy new from Honda or buy used on ebay of a salvage vehicle. The handle bars new on the aftermarket start at about $25 and can go up to over $130 - from Honda they are $126.50 or for Renthal in the Honda bend about $85.

Grips are easy and cheap - you can go to Walmart and buy bicycle grips for $5 or less or go to any motorcycle shop and get ATV grips for less than $20 and have your choice of color and style in varying degrees of hardness.

Easy to find if the wheel is bent - jack it up and spin the wheels - if one wobbles and the other does not, swap them from side to side and see if the wobble moves - if it does the rim is bent - if not, then the hub is bent.

Cheap steel wheel is ITP Delta @ $55 or find used

You can drop 1 tooth on the front and take up the slack with chain adjuster - you can only take a link out of the chain if the chain is worn out or you drop about 5 teeth on the rear sprocket - it's not based on the number of teeth, but the diameter of the circle.

Modifications for trail riding? Hand guards or bark busters, that's about it from my perspective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say get the protaper se bars, they are black, and they look 10 times better than stock silver, and they cost somewhere around 70$. For grips, I think you should get ODI lock-on grips, they last longer than the grips that you glue on, they look better and cost usually about 5$ more.
If your wheel is wobbling it is probably your hub bearing, they are like 25$.
Modifications on a budget would be, grippier seat cover, removing the spark arrester, and drilling holes in the airbox, and re-tuning the carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchase a set of handlebars and grips and installed them. Worked great. I also dropped down the front sprocket to a 14T so it is more aggressive trail riding. I found the left front brake rotor was pretty bent so I think that may of been causing my shacking. I removed it and took a ride and it was much better so I order a new rotor. Next might look at a slip on pipe and air box modification

1 - 4 of 4 Posts