Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bone stock 2002 400ex and I'm going to get a slip on muffler. My question is, I dont want to open the air flow too much as I dont want to cause damage to the motor, but I also dont want to keep the air box stock, do you think it would be better on the motor and keep dirt out to have my stock foam filter without an airbox lid, or a k and n filter with an outerwear and leave the air box lid on, and which would have better flow and which would keep dirt out of the motor best, or am i being to worried about this and I'm totally fine to run a k and n with no lid and it will not harm the motor? Anything helps, thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
Use the stock or stock style filter and forget the K&N unless you just have to have maximum performance and intend to rebuild the engine regularly - run without the top on the air box if you must and just stay out of the water. K&N flow more air and more dirt, but they are not concerned about the engine, they are for maximum perf. If you opt for K&N - get two, that way you will have one to use while the other is being cleaned and oiled. It takes about an hour (minimum) to clean, dry, re-oil and allow the oil to wick and drain prior to being ready for use. Also order a K&N filter charger kit for proper cleaning and oiling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much more restrictive do you think a stock filter with no lid would be vs a k and n with no lid as far as jetting goes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts