Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

400ex dies when hot

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bsmith 
#1 ·
I have an 04 400ex with a .40 over kit, white bros. exhaust, and jetted carb. It runs great when it is cold, but after about 20-30 minutes of riding, it will die and wont restart until I let it sit for an hour or so. Anybody have any suggestions on what direction to go with it?

#3 ·
Come to find out, I would let it run for a bit, then go ride it. The more i messed with it, the more I noticed a rythym to it. I would start riding over rough terrain, or start "getting on it" a bit, then it would die. It wouldnt restart till it was cooled off a bit. I found the choke to be weak. It was slightly moving the choke lever when I would start riding over rough terrain and riding hard. Its all good now.

#5 ·
If you look at the base of the lever (where it connects to the carb) it looks like there is a little ball or bump that is suppose to go into holes in the lever as you move it. I would say that gets worn down ovr time, and just cant hold it anymore. I too am using the zip tie at the moment. I will probably take a look at fixing it, cause it is kind of annoying having to mess with it every time I start it from cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.