Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
No - the CDI is AC powered - all the battery does is power the lights and run the starter motor

Whenever a no spark situation arises, disconnect the black wire with the white stripe at the CDI unit and check for spark - stil no spark, start troubleshooting the ignition system - stator, flywheel, CDI box , coil, spark plug cap and spark plug.

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
If you use a peak voltage tester, you should get about 100 volts from the CDI to the coil when the engine is cranking - the voltage cannot be tested with a standard multimeter as the 100 volt spike is only milliseconds in duration.

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
Regardless of how it looks, see if it will start - CDI spark is sharp and light blue - orange or white is bad and fat blue is associated with points and ICM's (Ignition Control Modules) not Capacitor Discharge Ignition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one 2006 TRX500 only Sparks a little after you let off the starter button. I've gotten it to run at Idle sometime but you can't accelerate or it will die. I've rebuilt the motor and pretty much checked everything except pulling the black wire with the white stripe. all my voltages checked good except the exciter voltage was 2vac just pulling the rope. the yellow had 8vac? I'm going to pull the blk wire with white stripe and let you know. thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts