Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
400ex has no power going from cdi to coil but it has power coming in from the red and black wire from stator.was wondering should there be power coming into the cdi any other way

·
Super Moderator
3,759 Posts
No - the CDI is AC powered - all the battery does is power the lights and run the starter motor

Whenever a no spark situation arises, disconnect the black wire with the white stripe at the CDI unit and check for spark - stil no spark, start troubleshooting the ignition system - stator, flywheel, CDI box , coil, spark plug cap and spark plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. If that doesn’t work could it be the pick up coil as I replaced the coil, cdi, spark plug and spark plug cap Also should there be power coming from the yellow and black wire to coil

·
Super Moderator
3,759 Posts
If you use a peak voltage tester, you should get about 100 volts from the CDI to the coil when the engine is cranking - the voltage cannot be tested with a standard multimeter as the 100 volt spike is only milliseconds in duration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for your help my pick up coil resistants was 230 ohms by any chance do you know if that is good or bad 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,759 Posts
Regardless of how it looks, see if it will start - CDI spark is sharp and light blue - orange or white is bad and fat blue is associated with points and ICM's (Ignition Control Modules) not Capacitor Discharge Ignition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts