Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, long time reader/stalker here. Finally decided to make an account to chat with a few of you experienced fellas. I’ve searched for days now, with no luck. I have a 2003 440ex I’m rebuilding because of neglect by previous owner. The original rocker cover got lost when he had it at a shop that completely dismantled the bike. I have the original head that I’d like to use, is it possible for me to just grab a used rocker cover off eBay or what not and slap it on my current cylinder head. Few things I’ve seen while searching are some people say no because Honda sells them together only for a reason, and they are machined together by Honda so can’t be mix/matched. I’m just a little concerned but can’t imagine everyone is going out and getting new heads and rocker covers together every time. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
They are a matched set and should be replaced together, but what the hey - it's junk without it, so get a used one and install it; the worst that can happen is it won't align properly and will damage the head and cam necessitating new. Maybe when you install the cover it will bind the cam badly enough the engine won't turn and you will immediately know it won't work. You might get lucky and Honda's manufacturing processes are close enough that the covers will swap perfectly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are a matched set and should be replaced together, but what the hey - it's junk without it, so get a used one and install it; the worst that can happen is it won't align properly and will damage the head and cam necessitating new. Maybe when you install the cover it will bind the cam badly enough the engine won't turn and you will immediately know it won't work. You might get lucky and Honda's manufacturing processes are close enough that the covers will swap perfectly.

Good luck!
Yeah I’m going to need good luck lol hopefully someone who has done it can chime in on their experiences. I appreciate your feed back! I’ll probably just take the chance 🤷🏻

1 - 3 of 3 Posts