Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rebuild kit after I thought I had some problems with the carb. I have a fmf slip on pipe. I took the pieces that were in the carb out and started replacing them with the new kit. Upon putting everything back in I noticed I was actually going down in a jet size from a 40 to a 38. Is that a problem? I don't think so and this kit was what I was told to get for just a slip on pipe like I have.

I don't know the setting for the pilot jet nor the placement of the e clip on the large needle that comes in from the top of the carb.(don't know the name)

I put everything in the way it came out just with the new parts and now I have a super high idle when the choke is off. Bike reves up great and is snappy but that's going up from like 3000rpm. The idle adjuster does nothing. Idk if I bought the wrong kit or I did something else wrong. Please help.

Thanks

I'll post pics

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
The o-ring and washer that is missing from the fuel screw that you removed is probably still in the hole the screw came out of - you usually have to use a small pick to fish those parts out of the hole after the screw is removed. The fuel screw is initially set about 2 full turns out from lightly seated - then the engine is run to normal operating tempurature and the screw is adjusted for a smooth idle

The #38 pilot jet is correct - the slide needle clip should be in the middle groove

Usually a high idle after service can be traced back to one of 4 common causes - no free play in the throttle cable, the cable is installed incorrectly, an incorrectly installed slide or a bent slide needle - there are other causes, but attention to detail will fix it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The o ring and washer came out. New ones installed.

The slide needle clip is not in the correct spot. I'll try that tomorrow. I tried adjusting the pilot valve while it was running and I didn't notice major difference but the idle was so high it may not have mattered. The throttle cable and everything else looks to be in the correct place.

Hopefully it's the slide needle that's in need of adjustment....

I feel like the pilot tightens up to a certain point then it gets slightly harder but still goes a few more turns. Is that too far after it starts to tighten up?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
It's difficult to say without actually feeling it. With the carb off, sometimes the tip of the tapered end of the screw can just be felt sticking through the hole in the throat of the carb. It can be over tightened and forced deeper into the hole, so use care. The screw will have no effect unless the engine is idling at about 1000 rpm

Look under the slide and the butterfly. The slide should not be up over 1/4 inch and you should only be able to see light under the butterfly - the butterfly controls the speed of the engine while the slide controls the fuel mixture from about 1/8 to 3/4 throttle

With the carb off the engine and the idle speed screw backed completely off, the butterfly should be completely closed.

If the throttle cable is adjusted correctly, you should be able to move the throttle lever about 1/8 inch before the actuator on the carb starts to move

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.