Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering about the possibility of making my 400ex a kickstart. I have read that the xr400 has the same engine and I know they came with a kickstart but dirtbikes kick backwards and four wheelers kick forwards due to the fender and rear tire. I've been looking online for a day or so and have seen a lot of forums and posts saying to just go buy a 450r or just have faith in the electric start but I want a kickstart for a couple reasons. One, I like kickstarts. Two, sometimes a battery will be a little low and just won't turn the starter enough to fire the engine up, especially with a high compression engine. I have a battery maintainer but if I'm out riding trails and am nowhere near electricity, what good does that do me? Any help or suggestions are welcome and definitely greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
NO CAN DO - Just make sure you have a quality battery, your charging system is performing as it should and the starting system is not drawing higher than designed amps.

Have faith - mine has never failed to start, but it is bone stock - I have a friend that installed the Wiseco 440 kit with a stage 2 cam and his has never failed to start. Alas, it can always be push or pull started.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A kick start would be awsome, especially when the charging system quits...:mad: But, I dont think it can be done, easily anyways. I have to say that these things have a good starter. Mine has been cranked and cranked at times.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
If you crank for over 30 seconds, allow 5 minutes for cool down to prevent starter damage. An engine in good tune should start in 15 seconds or less.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never cranked it for over 10sec at a time though.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts