Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just recently i added some pro taper bars and i eliminated the stock dash on my 06 400ex so theres nowhere to put my neutral/reverse lights, so i unplugged them and about three days later i went to start my bike and the battery was too weak to start it. so i push started it and it charged up enough from riding to use the electric start, so im wondering, will just unplugging those two lights drain my battery? I`m also planning on eliminating the front and rear lights in the near future and dont have any plans on putting them back on and id like to eliminate all the wires that i can if thats possible, any info on this subject is appreciated because i would really like to learn more about this subject before i start cutting wires. thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
Just unplugging the lights will not cause a battery drain, but without the lights you may not have a visual indication of leaving the ignition on and if you do, that will drain the battery. A easy test would be to plug the lights back in and see if the problem is solved. Other possibilities are: 1) a bad battery - with the battery fully charged, disconnect the ground lead, if after a couple of days you reconnect the battery and it is dead, you have a bad battery. 2) a faulty rectifier/regulator - if the battery proves good, leave the battery connected and unplug the rectifier/regulator from the wiring harness and wait a couple of days, if the battery is OK, replace the rectifier/regulator. If these quick tests don't reveal the problem, you may have to take it to a shop to have it throughly tested.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! the battery has been hot for a few days with the lights plugged back in, but i unplugged them yesterday and ill see what happens, your probably right about me leaving the key on because its mounted under the hood and i have a bad habit of using the kill switch. what about removing the brake light indicators? im not putting a brake light back on the bike, would you remove them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help! i really appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts