Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do u guys think i should get, a 400ex or a 450r? This will be around the end of next summer unless i somehow sell my 250ex for a good chunk of cash and come across a near perfect deal on one! But, for future reference, what is yalls opinion and WHY?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go with the 450 you can find a good used one for not much more than the 400 they make lots of performance parts for either bike but the stock or mild 450's are pretty impressive seems like the aftermarket companies center everything nowadays on the 450 class if you get a 400 eventually you will want more power so might as well get the 450 to begin with that's just my opinion but either way you can't go wrong with either choice

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 400 and am looking to upgrade to the 450r. like he said up above you are going to want more power and its true that companies are making less for the 400s and more for the 450s. now on the other hand i love my 400. great all around machine just missing the power

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, another option is one like yours, Steve, anywhere from an 86-88 trx250r. love those machines (from videos and pictures, ive never rode one). but yeah this lil 250ex is a good starter quad, but i already want more power haha!

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are great quads goose but only made them four yrs 86-89 they're are a few differences from yr to yr but ultimately were way ahead of there time that is why they were praised by all types of racers and the aftermarket world actually the 400ex chassis was built off the 250r design you can find them around here for around 2grand and on up I gave 900 for mine but drove 3 1/2 hours to get it and although not the fastest machine out there will always be my fave I will post pictures when it's done right now it's stripped to a bare frame lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
It all depends in what kind of riding you are giong to do. I went from a 250ex to a 450r and now i am on a 400ex. As far as usual casual riding and trails i liked the 400 better (after i piped and jetted it) but out on the track and wide open you cant beat the 450. Around missouri u can find nice 400s anywhere from 1500 to 2500. Its all a personal preference and what kind of riding u do.
Matt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im with 250EX ^ on this one, if you are going to just trail ride it buy the 400ex it is less maintenance than a 450R and me personally i have been riding all my life and i have had my 400 since brand new in 04 and with some upgrades it is a very fast bike and the most reliable trail bike ever made! All of my buddies are riding the 450's and i don't have the first problem keeping up with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy has a 450r and those stock will outrun a lot of bikes that are built. I like his quad a lot. Its technically "race ready" from honda. Also, it will stand up whenever you want it to. But, it is more maintenance. Its only kick start. I've just bought 400ex like 2 days ago. I haven't ridden it yet cause i'm going through the motor and carb, etc..I like that it has electric start. I'll repost on what I think about it. I've also been told, if you get a 400ex, try to find the shocks for a 450r. They're suppose to be better. I don't know that for a fact. That's just what somebody said. I'll keep ya updated though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Michaelg1188 the 450R they make in electric start or kickstart, and as for the 450R shocks on a 400Ex the only reason the 450R shocks are better is because they can be rebuilt for your size personally, the 400EX stock shocks cannot be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I gotcha. I personally found a lucky deal on my 400ex. Whoever rebuilt the motor put the camshaft 180 degrees out of time and they couldn't figure that out apparently. That's why they sold it so cheap. I guess it happens sometimes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i trail ride like hill climbs and some descent size jumps. but the only problem ive had with my 400ex is it running out of gas!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol it was a joke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts