Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,547 Posts
If it runs great hot, what's the problem? You are not supposed to run hard when cold or just warm. Ever heard of a "cold seizure"? It happens when the engine is run hard before it is at normal operating temp.

You didn't mention any mods to the intake, but I'm guessing you have chanhed the air filter to low restriction and probably removed the lid. Yeah, you might have to go up to a 42 on the pilot jet if you made changes to both the intake and the exhaust. A wrapped header just keeps heat in and it's a cheap way to disguise a crappy head pipe - changing the muffler screws things up, but not as much as changes to the intake. I put a stock muffler back on mine to get it to idle right and it runs better with the increased back pressure. Starts right up, but needs choke and throttle play till it gets up to temp.

·
Super Moderator
4,547 Posts
The slide needle is for mid-range. It controls fuel from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle opening and at a steady speed.

Sometimes it's the fuel - higher content alcohol fuels require richer jetting. Try using non-alcohol fuel or at the very least premium fuel from a brand name retailer (I like BP), but I use VP Racing MOTOSPORT 93 - it's $64 plus shipping & hazardous materials surcharge (totals about $120 for 5 gal, but the hazmat charge is capped at $150, so I always buy six 5 gal pails each time I order it. IT IS AWESOME! Lasts for 2 years uncapped and over a year in the tank. The throttle response is instant and it goes farther per gal than the pump junk.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts