Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 420TRX 2x4, It runs great but can hear loud knocking, asssuming its the trans because its not constant and when I get to 3rd or 4th gear it doesnt go anymore. Ive already gotten a complete set of gears and just looking for any tips or tricks to make repair go a lil easier.

I already have a service manual.

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
I suggest you have a qualified mechanic listen to it before you take it apart.

Try to understand this - the transmisson is a "constant mesh" design. All the gears are engaged and turning at the same time. If the noise was coming from the tranny, it would most likely make the noise in all gears. Test it by rolling down a hill with the motor off and shifting through the gears. Now the transmission is being turned by the wheels ranther the engine. If the noise is still there, then it might be in the tranny. If the noise is gone, then what you are hearing is probably in the motor.

Check it out and good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re

Ill have to get a friend to pull me around the yard, no real big hills in south Louisiana. Lol
But anyways, it does make the noise in all gears, when I said it wasnt constant, meant that itll stop for a couple seconds and come back. And 3rd and 4th gears are non existant.

When Im getting pulled around, do I shift thru the gears?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.