Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 420 I’ve adjusted valves checked compression even took front cover off check time still no start I’ve poorer gas straight into plug hole it backfires or coughs through intake and plug is dry when I remove need serious help

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
What was the compression when you checked it? more than one drop of gas in the spark plug hole will severely flood the engine. One drop of gas properly mixed with air can potentially let the motor idle for about a minute. Are you testing and trying to stat with a new spark plug? Finally, you can't check the timing by removing the front engine cover - the flywheel and timing marks are under the rear cover.

I agree you need serious help - first thing to do install a new spark plug - second, verify the flywheel timing mark is lined up when the piston is at TDC - third, verify the battery voltage does not fall below 9 volts while cranking the engine - fourth, check all ground connections including battery terminal, battery to frame cable and motor mount torque.

Being fuel injected, it could be as simple as a wiring connection or as major as multiple failed parts. It be a failed CPU or fuel pump. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

I can send you the service manual and you will need some special tools, but with patience; if you read the service manual and understand what you read you may fix it without taking it to the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing mark for a fact is in the front it’s the notch at the top and it has fuel and spark the ecm(cdi) whatever name you want to call it controls tht u cant adjust that

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
That's the cam timing - it has nothing to do with ignition (spark timing) - the spark is controlled (set) by the flywheel. You need to verify the piston is at TDC when the T mark on the flywheel is visible in the inspection port. Valve timing and spark timing are on opposite ends of the crankshaft, but the engine has to be in the right position to check spark timing and to set the cam timing. While the cam timing may be correct (marks line up) the flywheel may have shifted throwing the spark timing off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts