Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 84 TRX200 with some drivetrain issues and was looking for some direction on diagnosing this problem.

Symptoms: When riding in any gear the transmission will slip for a second and then catch. This doesn't happen all the time.. maybe once every couple minutes and usually when on pavement when there is not much load on the motor. Once I am on the dirt trails its not so prominent but it does happen. Its not a metal grinding sound so I know it's not the transmission gears. It doesn't feel like a clutch slipping problem like the friction is fading in and out but more like the motor revs a little and then jerks slightly like its' grabbing. Before I took off the clutch cover I ordered a used auto clutch just in case. I took out the auto clutch and the hub and shoes were in better condition than the ebay one. Plenty of shoe thickness and only slight wear inside the hub. I do wonder if the one way bearing is worn and can cause this problem. BTW, I did remove the manual clutch springs to check the spring length according to the manual specs and it was at the service limit. Since I have the cover off I was planning on putting some washers under the spring to get more tension on the plates. I would appreciate any input that anyone has on this issue. Thanks, Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
If my guess is correct, you have a transmission problem - it's jumping out and back into gear. Rather common and expensive problem. If you can't fix it yourself, look for a different machine. If you can fix it yourself, be aware that most parts for this year quad are no longer available from Honda, but if you are patient and knowledgeable, you can scroung up all the parts you need on ebay and amazon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my guess is correct, you have a transmission problem - it's jumping out and back into gear. Rather common and expensive problem. If you can't fix it yourself, look for a different machine. If you can fix it yourself, be aware that most parts for this year quad are no longer available from Honda, but if you are patient and knowledgeable, you can scroung up all the parts you need on ebay and amazon.
I have gotten into a XR200R transmission before to replace a stripped kick start gear but I am unfamiliar with the autoclutch set up. What would be the part your talking about in the transmission?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
I'm referring to the engagement dogs on the gears and the shift forks. The shafts have splined and freewheeling gears. The gears that are splined on one shaft mate with gears that freewheel on the other shaft. In neutral, the splined gears are turning freewheeling gears. When you shift gears, the shift fork moves a splined gear into a freewheeling gear that is mated to a splined gear on the other shaft causing the other shaft to turn and drive the rear wheels. When a shift fork is worn, it may not move the two gears together enough and they try to jump back to the neutral position, but the fork tries to keep them together. In the average damaged transmission, at least one shift fork and two gears need to be replaced. In a severely neglected transmission, the shift drum that moves the forks may need to be replaced also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Here to Help, I am going to try replacing the auto clutch first since I already have it and the cover is off. I am considering adding a washer to each manual clutch spring too to increase spring strength. IF that is slipping but don't know if will mess anything up working with the auto clutch. If either of those don't work then I will probably sell the bike as a parts bike. It's not worth putting time and money into fixing the transmission. The kid I bought if from lied about alot of things and it will never be more than an $500 no matter how good it runs. It was filled with twice as much oil. The recoil with a broken rope actually had no parts inside the housing. The list goes on. I should of been more carefull on getting my first ATV. But I will see..maybe it's not the gear. I will keep you posted on my progress . THanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.